Saturday 10 October 2009

Good game spotted on high street shocker!

A little early for my opticians appointment yesterday I popped into the HMV on Princess Street.

Whilst in high street chain shops I often enjoy torturing myself my taking a look at the board games. However yesterday I was in for a surprise. Proudly displayed beside the Harry Potter Cludo and the X factor boggle was none lest than a stack of 20 or so copies of Pandemic.

For the uninitiated Pandemic is an excellent cooperative game where players work together to eradicate virulent viruses (can viruses be described as virulent?) which are threatening to bring the world to its knees.

On this discovery my chain of thought went roughly like this:

  1. ohhh pandemic, cool!
  2. errr Pandemic is a great game but why stock this and not Carcassonne or Ticket to Ride?
  3. Ahhhhh!
So I cant decide if HMV stocking Pandemic is a shocking example of a corporation attempting to make money on the back of peoples suffering. Or an inspired buyer grasping the opportunity to introduce the high street to a great alternative to Simpsons buckeroo.

I guess I will never know. Still on the balance I think it is a good thing, if this Christmas there are families are gathered together over a game of Pandemic.

Now if you will excuse me the TAMIFLU I ordered on e-bay has arrived.

2 comments:

  1. Hi David, I think it was £25, but to be honest I didn't pay much attention as I already have a copy.

    ReplyDelete